Sunday, March 17, 2002

A Slight Miscalculation...

So I finally made it over to the actual track today. Since it was Sunday I was pretty sure the track team wouldn't be invading the place, and I was right. Unfortunately it started to rain shortly after I got there, and so it ended up a pretty damp workout. I'm sure I can blame the wetness for part of it, but my lap times ended up a good 15 or 20 seconds per lap over my average for the previous two running workouts for the entirety, which put me a good minute plus over my target two mile time even though I maintained a steady pace throughout. :( I was confused at first until I decided to pace out the track and see how "off" my little wanna be lap setup over at the Rec Cen was, and it turned out that every 120 paces of mine end up 100 yards, not 100/100 as I expected. This made me feel better, because after adding 1/5 of the total time at the Rec Cen onto itself a time appeared that was basically identical to what I ran today. The bad news being that means I'm not in the shape I thought I was. This actually doesn't hurt too bad, given I just started seriously working out within the last week or two, and it makes sense I shouldn't instantly be able to run at the speed I'm shooting for. More important is trying to keep the mental focus necessary to keep the workout schedule going and not slack off. I figure there are a lot of people here who can't even run the two miles without stopping, so nyah nyah to them! :)

Feels good to come home tired though, after a good series of stretching, slowly I'm becoming slightly more flexible than a two by four.

First final is Tuesday at 8am, then I've got a 4pm Wednesday, and a 12pm and 4pm Thursday.