Thursday, March 21, 2002

DUN, DUN DUN DUNT, DUN, DUN DUN DUN DUNNNNNNNNNNN...

Anyone watch Square One when they were kids? How about 3-2-1 Contact? I think they were on KCET. Mathnet was a segment of one of them, Square One I think, and the above is an attempt at the riff they play at the end of each episode... Yeah, guess you have to know what I'm talking about to get it. :/

So, eeeets all ooooova ladies and gents. There were a couple hiccups during the Econ test, one of which was when I decided I hadn't the foggiest idea what I was talking about as I was writing the essay, so I switched to the second prompt, and it went muuuuch smoother. Basically out of the 30 questions I was positive on a bunch, pretty durned sure on a bunch more, and then there were the "well yeah, this must be right.... right?" ones where you never really know. Unfortunately there's a huge difference between a 20/30 and a 29/30 when it comes to percentages, so we'll have to see where this takes us. A little luck is always nice. Actually compared to my other classes, this one was my highest "going into the final" grade, so worst comes to worst it still should be pretty good.

So, its time for the ever fun GRADE PREDICTIONS:

Classics 102: A lot changed today, and after an A on the paper and what appeared to be a good grade on the final, I'm going to have to go with a B in the class. Higher than that would be pleasantly surprising, but since this one doesn't count towards the major or anything important, that's just for overall GPA help.

Econ 3A: I knew more going into the final of this one than most of the others since it was only worth 20% of the final grade. My range of possibilities uncurved was somewhere between about a 75 (50% on the final) and 85 (do good) percent overall in the class. Given how I felt I did on the final, I'm going to go with a B here too. A curve here would be most helpful though, and its quite possible there will be one (the final wasn't easy), which could bump that up a notch or two.

Pstat 5E: Aced the first midterm here, but scored lower on the second. Catch there being that if you do better on the final than one of the midterms, it replaces that score as well as counting for the final itself. So a whole lot of movement possible there depending on final results. As with my others, I felt pretty good, but the downside to multiple choice is you miss a couple here and there and it adds up. However there's curve possibilities there as well. Possible ranges in there are about the same as Econ 3A uncurved. Guess I'll go with a B.

Econ 1: Well, here I actually had a B+/A- going into the final, but its really a wild card. Just to continue the conservative theme with every grade, I'll go with a B+ here.

I guess those are pretty much middle of the road numbers. Some of them are pretty much guaranteed that good IE Classics, and some have it more in the middle of their range. However, given my GPA performance over the last four quarters before the major change, just about anything even remotely close to these grades will significantly and positively affect my GPA. Ya gotta start somewhere, and possibly more than doubling my GPA from one of the quarters last year would be a pretty impressive place to start the upward swing.

Okay just for kicks, the best case scenario. We'll say A in Classics if he for some reason decides to ignore the Midterm given excellent performance on the paper and the final. We'll say A- in Econ 3A if I managed to rule the final and there's any sort of curve. We'll say A in Pstat too, again if the final gods enjoyed my worship and the focus is placed on the latter parts of the class. Actually if I aced the final there then that cancels out the second midterm giving me basically 100% in the class. Obviously the final score will be key, and that's the one I'll get to see within a day or two. Econ 1 there's definitely A possibilities with an excellent score on the final. So looking at it that way, there's the possibility of an outright fabulous GPA this quarter. I won't wory about the "worst case" because there's always possibilities that the Scantron machine will eat my test. [knocks on wood]

Anyway, grades are posted online sometime late next week or early the following one.

Meanwhile, its SPRING BREAK BABY! Now the question is, what in the heck to do with myself? :)