Sunday, September 09, 2001

My Butt is Happy

Why the strange topic, you might ask. Well, today I bought a chair. To most people this is quite an insignificant thing. Unless you happen to live in the dorms at UCSB. Then you happen to know that the chair that "comes with the room" is basically a piece of wood, with legs. For nine months out of the last two years I've been basically the most uncomfortable person on the planet. A few days ago the thought occurred to me that this was not a good thing (go figure). I realized I have plenty of room under my bed to stuff the wooden chair if I bought a decent one, and yet would still be able to drag out the old one for visitors or movie watching or what not. So I dragged my dag out today in search for The Perfect Chair(tm).

We finally discovered it at Staples. A chair that had a high enough back that I at five feet eleven and thirty one thirty seconds inches could lean back without getting a massive crick in my neck. The top bulk of cushioning fits snugly between my upper back and my head, in that little crevice caused by the neck. I can effectively have total neck and head support while still sitting basically upright. In other words, I could be typing, gaming, whatever, and still have support for my entire upper body.

This is not the only positive quality however. Its leather, which of course makes it comfortable. It makes a big WHOOOOSH sound when you sit in it as all the air escapes out the sides (moreso for me than others I think). The arms are padded (again this might not be significant, but sure is a luxury once you have it). It tilts back to an absolute perfect angle (not like other chairs where to get it back to a comfortable level you have to tilt up on two legs, generally causing you to fall on your ass in front of a large crowd of gawkers) so that you may stare at the ceiling, watch a movie, put your feet up, or whatever you please in total comfort.

Granted, the chair was not cheap, but I feel it was worth every penny. I figure I'll use it for a lot longer than I'll use most things, and I can take it with me wherever I'm living. Even found it in black, after we almost had to buy the scuffed maroon floor model they had available. True, I could have bought the el cheapo forty buck chair, but I figure a perfect chair and hours and hours of utterly total comfort is more than worth a hundred plus.

So, along with the beanbag chair I picked up last year (which has now been downgraded to the second most comfortable piece of furniture in the room) I'm quite proud of the way my dorm room will be looking. Plenty of room for visitors to make themselves comfortable.

There I go, acting like people will come see me. Well, there's always those who pity. :)