Monday, September 10, 2001

Mel Gibson + Sex Change?

Not quite, although the similarities are many between the truly excellent movie I watched tonight called Joan of Arc and Gibson's movie Braveheart another of my favorites. Note: This is not the same movie as the one with the title The Messenger: The Story of Joan of Arc. Although I have it, I have not seen that version. From what I hear it makes her out to be much more insane, whereas this one does a good job of making her the good guy. Highly recommend this one, although two downsides are its length (3 hours and change) and the fact it doesn't have the most cheerful ending. That's probably all I need to say, and if you know your history you already know what happens. Actually, the movie starts with the ending, as some do, before flashing back to the beginning. Sort of like Titanic in that way, you go in knowing whats going to happen without really knowing what happens in between. Very strong acting on all sides, and some great cinematography. Also quite a powerful score, very appropriate. Besides which, with Doogie Howser playing the part of the French king, how can you go wrong! :) Leelee Sobieski (I know I butchered the spelling on that one, sue me) did a beautiful job in the lead role, and I don't see how the other Joan of Arc movie could be better. I'll give it a fair shot though, at least so I can compare and have a good recommendation on which people should borrow if they want the better of the two. Little of everything in this one, some very high highs, and some bottom of the barrel lows. If you like letting your emotions roll with the movie, you're in for quite a ride.

Quite a fiasco with the repeated posts yesterday... The thought occurred to me that I could switch to monthly archiving and it probably wouldn't eat that first day, then again it might eat the whole first month. Anyway, I figure that no one outside of my family (and probably no one inside either) will actually read this entire thing word for word, so I won't trouble myself TOO much about it. I like to think that if the perfect person does stumble across this somehow though, they'll be able to find what they're looking for, somewhere in here. They say you can learn a lot about a person by going through their trash, you can learn a lot more by reading their daily blabbering.

Btw, toffee peanuts are very yummy. Especially when washed down with a red Slurpee. (It was on the way back from Blockbuster, I swear!)