Wednesday, August 21, 2002

Peanut Butter Lathered Apples

Mmmm. Was treated to some of those while up at a friend's place, she and her best friend and I had a grand ol time cookin dinner and chowin down on some yummynummy food. We worked up an apetite while wandering all over West L.A. looking for a Home Depot and ended up at the one closest to my house, go figure. One minute I'm having fun with tape measures, the next time I turn around I see the two girls playfighting with hammers, until one of them gets a big thumb. Luckily they were using those big rubber ones rather than the metal kind. Could have been worse.

Dropped off all the material for my package, after stopping by a few places to pick up various items. Took a data entry form based test at my temporary agency when I stopped by to pick up the Letter of Recommendation from them, apparently they hadn't tested me since '99 and wanted to update my records. I found out that on average I type 11,000 keystrokes per hour. I'd always known sort of a range of words per minute, but never keystrokes per hour, which is what a lot of companies use when looking for potential data entry personnel and whatnot. I always though I was around 8k which is the minimum for most jobs, with 10k for some of the more high paying ones. Cool to know I can hang with the big boys (as if it's something to brag about). The plus is I have a new job starting Thursday that should run at least through the 13th which still pays $11 like the last one, but is much closer. No freeway driving involved. It's 9 to 5, which means again probably not a 40 hour week, but who knows there might be overtime possibilities or whatnot. Saving the five bucks a day for parking and taking my own lunch should save me tons of money there anyway. I'm quite satisfied with working right up until the day before I leave for school, $ is $.

Oh and I almost forgot the biggest news of the day. Did a mile and a half time trial over at the track, and not only smashed my best mile time in a few years, but also ran UNDER the required time for the PFT at OTS for the first time in about as long. Don't laugh when I say 11:49, with a 7:47 mile. Hey I've only been training a week, gimme a month or two and we'll see how those numbers change. :) The reason this news is so good is that a 12:00 is all that's required during the "hell" that is OTS, so not having to worry about the physical aspect of things and spending more time on the mental should be an advantage. Of course in Alabama with major humidity and ninety degree heat even at 5am, things might be a little different. That's assuming I get accepted, of course. No need to put all my eggs in one basket, so to speak. Hell, it'll be nice to be in shape regardless of what I end up doing.