Sunday, July 07, 2002

What A Mess...

For those wanting to try their hand at the most violent FPS out there, I recommend Soldier of Fortune II. Now for all you haters out there, the game has like 20 different ways to turn down the violence, as well as a parental lock with password option, so our children can be protected to whatever level you want them to be. Now back to those who are actually aware of the difference between a "game" and "reality." This is easily the most violent game I've played, mainly due to the realism of the death animations, the dismemberment, the groans, spurts, squishies, and various other details I'll spare my elderly readers from. It's supposedly one of the longer single player games out there, I've put several hours in over the last few days and haven't beaten it yet, but I have no idea how close I am. Will update later on that.

Still no job, which is becoming quite irksome. Not that I mind being able to focus on things like running and arm/ab work, but money is good too. Spent Friday wandering around with the father, checking out various speaker systems, DVD players, and digital cameras, not that he was actually going to buy anything, half the fun is wandering around the store and then leaving, I guess.

Haven't quite decided what my big purchase of the summer is going to be, largely because my income is not yet steady and thus I don't know how much money I'll have to work with. Possibilities include a flat panel monitor (pretty sure I've been talking about that since I started this blog, and yet I'm still staring at this not even flat pos I've had since freshman year), a Klipsch speaker system, or a digital camera. All three of those things are good for the long term, the digital camera would get a lot of use, and the speakers and monitor would make great additions to my dorm room/new place of living in the next year or so. I'm guessing my amount of income will greatly influence which purchase I make, since the speakers run about $400, the digital camera something more like $600, and the monitor well, more than that. :/ Its actually dropped down to about $2.5k from $4k, so hopefully I'll be able to find it somewhere closer to $2k or below if I decide to go that route. That's an awful lot of money still, though. Winning lottery tickets anyone?

Got an honest to goodness handwritten letter today, which by the way is always the coolest thing ever. Knowing someone actually took time to put pen to paper for a few minutes, in order to write to me even, is always enough to lift my spirits. Mailing something back will give me something else to do other than sitting around here, anyway.

Also saw Dralion and Nouvelle Experience, the last two Cirque Du Soleil shows I'd rented off Netflix, and was again impressed by the former, and somewhat entertained by the latter. Maybe it's because I'd been so impressed by Quidam, but I'd have to rank Dralion a bit below it, and Nouvelle Experience as the worst of the four. Still has some good acts, but overall nowhere near the caliber of the other three shows I snagged (the third being Saltimbanco). The DVD was full screen rather than wide screen, and at times very dark and blurry, so it was hard to see at times, not too impressive. Also ripped Searching for Bobby Fischer (5 M's) which is a quite entertaining story about a young chess prodigy. That is, if you're at all interested in chess, or the idea of young prodigys. Otherwise you'd probably think it sucked. :)

Going to have to start another mad burning spree, with all these rips having to stay local until the Fall when I can spread them around in trades for new and exciting things, going to have to burn off a lot of the old stuff. Oh, and two Simpsons eps down, 101 hours worth to go. :/