Monday, June 24, 2002

A Visual Feast

Can't think of a better way to describe Minority Report. If you like cool gadgets, think cool gadgest times a million. The visual effects and CGI were just phenomenal. It seemed like maybe five minutes of the movie didn't involve some sort of computer generated effect in there somewhere. Walking out I was seriously pondering 7 M's out of a possible 7, but it didn't quite make it. It was an incredibly awesome movie in basically all respects, but it wasn't life altering or anything. We'll go with 6 M's. I found the acting to be quite good, although the effects were definitely center stage. The actress who plays the pre-cog is quite spooky and haunting, her screams will echo in my nightmares I'm sure. I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it, but feel free to buy me a Lexus like that when I grow up. Dayam.

The other movie I saw just before seeing Spielberg's latest creation was The Bourne Identity. Speaking of Spielberg, if you think Minority Report is another A.I. think again, I found it to be MUCH better. Although I did enjoy A.I. largely due to the performance of Osment, I found it to be too much Kubrick for my liking, and not enough Spielberg. Anyway back to Damon's latest flick. Seems like there's a resurgence of secret agent movies that aren't in the Bond series, with this one and triple X coming out soon. I expected it to be very Bondish, and it was. Given I enjoy those types of films, I wasn't disappointed. Very good action in this one, some very body thumping fight scenes, with your classic "how's he gonna get out of this one" scenarios, and a pretty nice car chase to boot, in one of those ugly as hell mini cars everyone seems to want lately. Who knows why. My favorite part was they actually got a decent actress to play the part of the female companionship, rather than just a walking plastic surgery advertisment. (see Denise Richards in The World is Not Enough for a good example of the latter, sorry, I'm not a fan). This one deserves 5 M's. Was quite a good flick, unfortunately I saw Minority Report immediately afterward and that tarnished its greatness a bit. :)

Jury duty over, more on that later.