Saturday, September 22, 2001

Saturday Night Live...

Had a pretty fun couple of days... Was up mighty late last night so no chance to blog, ended up hitting the sack around 3am or so. Reason being I had visitors just about all night, which is always good to cheer me up. Started off with the 9pm tribute to America that was simulcast on about forty channels, saw some really great performances, and heard some of my favorite actors speak. Ali even stepped up to the mic, that was the first time I'd heard him speak publicly since the 96 Olympics... I remember that opening ceremony like it was yesterday, from Celine Dion belting out "Power of the Dream" and thousands of athletes swaying back and forth, to the torch lighting by The Greatest himself. I've always loved the Olympics, I remember we taped the opening ceremonies from the 88 games in Seoul and I would watch it before soccer games to psych me up, was only about 8 at the time. Nothing like watching a movie like Rudy or something of the sort to make oneself feel the courage to go run a marathon.

Anyway back to the performance, that was really great and ended around 11pm, but a girl who had stopped by to watch it with me ended up staying until the wee hours of the morning, as we talked about everything from "most disgusting thing about the opposite sex" to opinions on controversial issues. I just met her a few days ago when I was fixing her computer (along with everyone else's) but she seems like a really great all around person.

Today I got the motivation to head out to the RecCen and pretend like I'm still in shape... Did about four laps of the long pool and literally felt like my arms were going to fall off... Breathing was tough too, I'm definitely not in the shape I was when training for SCUBA last year. Going to try to make that a daily thing, classes don't start until 10am on a daily basis for me so there should be time beforehand to get in some exercise. My previous training partner is living with his previous ex but now back together again girlfriend, and working a lot, so he hasn't been available as much as the old days. Going to have to snag someone else to work out regularly with most likely, going as a pair always helps attendance anyway. Besides which its hard to play racquetball against oneself.

Turns out intramurals don't start until Oct 10th or somewhere in that area, going to be Wednesday nights anywhere fomr 9-12pm. That worked out well, Wednesdays tend to be pretty uneventful normally, will be good to have a dedicated time to get some good exercise. Apparently we have like twelve people on the team, and I'm guess its something like six a side, but then again not everyone will show up regularly. I hate subbing, except when I'm dead tired. :)

Saw quite the excellent movie tonight, a sneak preview of Hearts in Atlantis, least I think that's the exact title. The main reason was it stars Anthony Hopkins, probably my all-time favorite actor. He could be dressed up in a skirt and dancing ballet and I would still go see the movie. Quite a touching movie, although there was the usual scene about "puppy love" that made me sniffle a bit. If only things came together so easily in the Real World. Went to the only theater on State Street I hadn't been to, the Metropolitan 4 I think its called, was quite nice. Comfortable seats, moreso than a couple of the others I've been to anyway. Went to get tickets early for me and a couple female friends of mine who lived above me last year, ended up a pretty packed house, was the only showing since it was a sneak preview. Quite a mixed age range of a crowd as well, the movie had excellent themes for all ages.

Flipped on MTV just now "That's Just the Way it Is" is playing. I say that sometimes, and generally immediately feel that I'm wrong, that something can be done to change things. I have this necklace that one of my friends gave me from Hawaii, she said it had a special meaning there, and could be worn in times when luck was needed. Ever since last Tuesday its been on my neck. The wait continues.