Tuesday, September 18, 2001

Like, WoW.

I know, I know, I skipped a day. Well not really, I'm just writing this about an hour later than usual. I have a damn good reason though... Just returned from one of the coolest evenings I've had in quite some time.

Had just finished fixin up some interenet connections for people (well some got fixed, had to point some others to a higher power) and was putzing about in my room when I heard from a good friend of mine whom I've known for the last couple years here at the univ. She lived on the floor above me during my first year and although she's been off campus the most recent two years we've still met up from time to time for a late night carrow's run or a midday chit chat. She was bored tonight, and a bit depressed, so I recommended heading out to a nice dinner someplace. I did bring one decently spiffy outfit with me here, so I basically insisted we get spiffed up for the occasion. :)

I suggested Aldo's, an italian place on State street downtown that I'd heard was good, but she mentioned a place called the Brown Pelican right on the ocean that she'd been to a week or two ago with some friends.

This restaurant single handedly is the most romantic restaurant I have ever been to! We're talkin right on the water, with nothing but about thirty yards of sand between you and the gentle crashing of the waves. We're talkin candlelight outside patio, with scenic plants and decorative lighting among them. We're talkin lamps with flames on top, lightning heaters that keep the whole place toasty warm. We're talkin massive cliffs along one side, with just a beautiful view in all directions. Look up, and all you see is stars, stars, and more stars. You'll have to excuse me there, in L.A. where I've lived most of my life stars are a rarity due to smog and such. Anyway, I splurged for the eighteen dollar halibut (hell how often am I at a place this nice) and it was just divine. She had the seafood penne, also very delicious with a fabulous sauce. Afterwards we wandered the beach for a bit before snaggin some ice cream and headin home.

Now don't get me wrong, this is just a "friend who's a girl" rather than vice versa. Most of my friends are female, and almost all of them have covered the "you're like a brother to me" territory at some point or another. I'm one of those people where when someone asks a friend of mine "is he hot" they will generally respond, "he's really nice..." :) Or as others have put it "you're not UNattractive... but not drop dead gorgeous either." I'm in definite agreement there, I fit the definition of average pretty well. Average looks, average body. The perfect person for me is going to have to be someone who looks deeper than the common superficiality that others stop at.

I think the evening cheered us both up, I had a blast. Definitely going to have to keep that place in mind for the next time I have a mutual romantic interest though... Can't think of a better place for a date. Prices were in the $12-20 range, in my opinion pretty cheap given the luxury of the surroundings and service.

All in all was a pretty great day, met some cool people on the floor above me while fixing their comps, took care of a bunch of errands, fixed my bike, got a lot accomplished. Looking forward to trying to top today, tomorrow. :)