Sunday, September 02, 2001

NOTE: IF YOU ARE TRYING TO READ FROM THE BEGINNING OF THIS JOURNAL PLEASE FIRST READ THE POST DATED 9/9 IN THE WEEK OF 9/9 TO 9/16, SOME POSTS WERE LOST DURING THE FIRST ARCHIVE AND HAVE BEEN REPRODUCED THERE. SORRY FOR THE INCONVENIENCE, FOLLOWING THAT POST CONTINUE ON FROM THIS POINT. @=O/

Moobies, and lots of them.

Man, I cut it close every night. I have one of those thirty DVDs in thirty Days deal at Blockbuster for twenty bucks, the catch being you can only get one per day. They close at midnight, and I'm always tearing over there at about ten til having just finished copying the previous one.

Guess I'll have to admit to one not so legal thing I do, although it really isn't that bad. I'm a movie collector, I store them on CDs that anyone is able to watch on their computer, much like a DVD, except they can use their regular CD Rom drive and don't need to have a DVD player themselves. So basically I rent a movie, copy it to the hard drive, compress it (that's a twelve hour process for the cpu) and burn it, and thus can keep it forever. The quality is basically DVD like, except in some cases where an anal eye will notice descrepancies in the quality. Wonder how close I was to spelling that right. Anyway. So basically I'm robbing the movie industry blind, but the way I see it, I'm no worse than anyone who has an mp3 on their comp that isn't on a cd they already own. Until they figure out a way to control people robbing the record companies, I don't think the Hollywood giants will be sending the FBI to confiscate my puter any time soon.

On the other side of things, my movies do tend to gain me a lot of "friends" as people discover that I'm a human Blockbuster of sorts, and I don't charge for borrowing. Often times my room is used as a home theater, since I have a surround sound Dolby Digital speaker system packed into a space the size of most people's bathrooms... There's not a whole lot of room (plenty for just lil ol me) but its enough for about 7 or 8 enthusiastic moviegoers if we fill up all the floor space. On a typical Friday or Saturday night at least 90% of the hall is out in IV or elsewhere, and thus the r/a's are pretty lenient about blasting sound through the walls.

I'm a real fan of movies, I started keeping my ticket stubs a few years back and have a stack about six inches high (at a price of at least five bucks a movie that's pretty depressing now that I think about it...). Now that I think about it that doesn't include all the movies I hop to after watching the first (yikes, two illegal things described in one post, don't worry that ratio should improve) so that number is probably still pretty innaccurate. I see a lot with friends, but I also see a lot by myself. Personally since you're not talking during the movie I never really understood the need of having six people with you... Nice to go chat before it starts and head out to eat or something afterwards I guess though.

I'm a big fan of dramas, best case scenario being a movie that causes me to be a changed person when I leave. A movie that affects me that much is the apex of all moviegoing experiences. Second genre would have to be action, gotta love a good car chase or stunt scene. Third would probably be comedy, sometimes I get in the mood for one of those, some of those guys really crack me up. Currently a distant fourth is romance, although if it falls into the drama or comedy category and isn't a total loviedoviefest as well it might be elevated in status. This is largely due to my current social situation, I'm sure if I had someone to cuddle with I wouldn't be quite so bitter. :)