Thursday, May 13, 2004

More Space, Fewer Problems...

The comp was down for a while over the last couple days as I made some changes to the hardware. The new sound card arrived as well as another 250gb drive which will allow me to use the previous solely for backups for the most part, to avoid any further fiascos with lost data. Unfortunately with my new case to remove or add screws to the far side of the drives requires taking off the backside of the case, which in turn requires detaching the motherboard from basically everything, since it's screwed directly into the back wall of the case. This had been something I was planning to do along the way anyway, in order to redo some of the wiring in that area and hide most of it behind the motherboard. The result is a much cleaner looking viewable side, with the focus being on the light show rather than the mess of cables. Somehow I managed to put it all back together and power it up and have everything work on the first try, something that usually doesn't happen. I'm up to 620GB total, which should last me quite some time. These adjustments pretty much finished off the interior, the only remaining hardware item missing is the video card, which I should be adding within a month or two upon its release. Backed up the main data drive onto the old 250gb that had the lost data issue, so barring the whole apartment burning down (knock on wood) I'll be safe from random drive failures in the future.

The last few days of JSUNT have been pretty uneventful, just various classes for API which we finally finished up today so we can take the test tomorrow morning. Most of it was about weather, with some pretty basic stuff about airplane instruments and so forth as well. Not a whole lot we didn't already know, other than going a bit more in depth into weather than we had previously in NIFT, and going over some of the instruments that will be in our panel that we hadn't seen previously. Following the test we move on to the next phase of Introduction to Navigation or IN as everyone calls it, where we'll get more into the nitty gritty of the nav logs and what we'll be doing on a regular basis.

I also found out I'll have to go to Brooks for an examination to accompany my waiver package before they confirm/deny it. Doing some research through their website showed that of the 162 or so AF personnel in the database with substandard depth perception, all but four were given waivers, and of those four none were solely due to the depth perception problem. So other than a few more hoops to jump through I'm not all that worried about the final result. As usual worst comes to worst I'd get rolled back a class, which just means more sitting around.