Monday, April 08, 2002

A To-Do List For Life...

This is an idea I've been milling over for quite a long time now and finally decided to sit down and begin. A list as you've probably seen in many other places by many other people, of the things that I personally would like to do during this lifetime.

I've let a relatively sheltered and spoiled existence, and I'm quite aware of such. One just needs to read one of those posters that talk about "If the World had only 100 people" and then gives you the breakdown of how many would be at poverty level or below (60 as I recall) and how many are illiterate in order to realize how "good" most of us (if not all) have it. I surfed around the net taking a look at various other people's list, and travel seems to be quite popular, and that makes sense, why be ready to leave this world if you haven't seen all of it yet. One thing that seems to be different with mine is that I'm lacking materialistic items. People have things like "earn a million a year " or "live in a million dollar loft in New York" or "own a luxury car." For me when I really get down to the nitty gritty what I want to accomplish in life, money seems like a means of getting to certain things, but certainly not the end result. If I could accomplish all the things on my list without any, I wouldn't feel the need to make more than the average Joe. I think I'll be adding to the list continuously, and I don't think I'll ever accomplish everything on it. A lot of the things I've added already are ongoing, such as seeing the Olympic torch whenever it visits the United States, riding the world's fastest roller coaster at any given time (I've actually ridden three of the top five at the moment including #1), and visiting the world's highest observation deck (currently the CN Tower in Toronto, Canada). I'll probably end up categorizing the list to make it easier, because it looks like its going to be quite lengthy. Some physical personal items are running a five minute mile (I came close in high school, but never hit it) and bench pressing my weight. Then you've got the typical travel items, and "crazy" things like skydiving or bungee jumping. Other items are more random, such as publishing a book and an article in a magazine, designing my own house, and giving a performance on stage people paid to see in a musical or show of some sort. Still others are of the far-fetched variety, such as going on a spacewalk, or seeing the earth from space. Who knows though, civilian space travel might not be as far away as we think. Then we have learning sign language, and being a voice in an animated movie..

Well as you can see, the list goes on, and on. I've only mentioned a small portion of the lengthy version I've got so far, and I've still only just begun. Lofty goals sure, getting to do everything on the list would be as close to impossible as they come, but aren't we all allowed to dream?

Was hanging out with a friend at Carrow's tonight and she mentioned that experiencing "true love" was on her list. Frankly yes, I guess finding "the one" will be on mine, but whenever I think about it I always find myself settling for "well, maybe "a" one, or maybe even "anyone"." It's just not an extremely high priority at this time in my life. Through my friends and family I basically fill all the social needs I have, and although I wouldn't mind a singular person to share experiences with on a closer level, I'm not tripping over myself trying desperately to find someone to fit the mold.

Rereading that something tells me if I look back through this journal I'll find contradictory views and wants in other places. I probably change back and forth about how important finding love is to me from week to week, month to month. I guess that's where the title of this comes from, who really knows what I'm searching for?