Thursday, April 22, 2004

Pajamas At Work, Coming Soon.

Gah, I finally decide it's time to hit the sack and continue the fun tomorrow and then I realize I haven't blogged yet today and I was trying to be motivated enough to do it every day. So here ya go.

The morning consisted of the FC's indoc brief basically telling stuff how things were going to go, and much more extensively how things were NOT going to go. As expected he wasn't as lax as he has been the last few days, and pretty much laid down the law underlining and boldfacing items such as "I am NOT your friend." Still not a whole lot has been shared schedule wise about the way things will be laid out for the course, but I'm sure that will come with time. Need to know basis and all that. Then came two hours of filling out excessively boring medical paperwork in preparation for our flight physicals tomorrow. Thanks to the alphabet I managed to draw the 8:30 time slot instead of the 7am, so I'll get an extra hour or two of sleep.

At lunch we were hanging out in the lounge of the 563rd eating free food given by the spouse's club, and an EWO stopped by to answer some questions one of the guys had about that side of the house. By the end of the convo at least a few people at the table were seriously considering heading that route, but I find whenever I talk to an EWO I want to go that way, and whenever I talk to a Nav vice versa is true. He did have a bunch of good info though.

Following lunch we headed over to equpiment issue, which was pretty fun as we basically racked up like $600 or so worth of items that we'll be needing, mostly clothing. This of course meant that I got to try on a flight suit for the first time. I don't think I've ever wore a one piece anything before, so it was quite strange trying to get my arms into the holes at first. Once it was on though it was quite comfy, although warm even in the air conditioned store. Something tells me long sleeves when it's 100 plus outside won't be too thrilling. After Blues and BDUs for several months though, it will be nice to be able to get ready in less than a minute. We also got issued some jump boots, which aren't required to be shiny, so that will safe a bunch of time too. We then took the flight suits over to an alterations place off base to get the patch velcro material and rank sewed on, so when we pick them up on Monday they should be good to go for Tuesday, the first day we'll wear them. I think this will be the first really cool day here, much like the first time at OTS when I had my name sewed onto a military uniform next to the words U.S. Air Force and finally felt like I was part of the team. Slappin my nametag (albeit without wings) onto my flight suit and zippin off to class should be a neat feeling as well.

Nothing but the flight physical tomorrow, should be done after a 1230 dental appointment by early afternoon. Which is good, because I have lots of tinkering to do.

When I came home in the middle of the day on a break I found two boxes outside my room, which was weird because although I was expecting a CPU and motherboard, I ordered them from the same place and figured they'd be in the same box. After bringing them in and analyzing the situation, I realized one of the boxes was from FTD.com, and was paid for by a "3rd party." Very suspicious. Upon cutting it open I found one of those cold packs usually used when shipping different kinds of food. Even more suspicious.

What I eventually unwrapped though was a pretty amazingly cute early birthday present. It was a gigantic fortune cookie close to the size of my head. I immediately knew who it was from, and if you remember back a few months you will too. I called her up to thank her and tell her she was the cutest ever, and that's when she informed me of something I hadn't even noticed, that the whole thing was dipped in white chocolate. I LOVE white chocolate. It's just ridiculously yummy. She of course knew this, and hooked me up in a big way. I was so impressed with the gift that the motherboard and CPU sat unopened until much later after I returned home for the evening and she had gone to sleep. If you know me, you know new computer parts are usually like gold, so clearly there has been some priority rearranging along the way. She even knew that I was expecting computer equipment in the mail, and timed the shipment to get here at the same time so I would be quite bewildered and eventually very surprised, as I was. One thing is for sure, I'm just kind of a lucky guy. :)