Thursday, November 20, 2003

Two Days In A Row...

Such exciting times are these. This morning actually was pretty exciting, as I ran a mock PFT with my section and ended up besting my PR outside of high school by six seconds. Given I only started running again a week ago, this was quite promising. It's amazing what eating right because the only food around is what you buy can do. My low over the last few days has dipped down to around 178 or 9, suddenly my goal for like the last 2 years of 175 seems a lot more reachable. This was partly because on Tuesday I went for what I planned to be about a 5 miler around the east runway, but low and behold there was no way across the taxiway at that end, so I had to run all the way across the golf course to the taxiway crossing where it meets the west runway, and then all the way back across the base diagonally to get home, where I then had to skip breakfast to avoid being late for my muster time. Ended up being the equivalent about a 10k, and I was definitely feeling it for the next few hours in my legs. I recovered enough to PR today though, so that's promising. The previous Sunday I'd run 4 miles all on grass to avoid shin splints, but the 10K I did all on pavement with no ill effects, so far, so good. I figure after a couple weeks of this I'll try to get into more running days per week. I'm at 9:48 right now for the 1.5 mile, but the more that drops the better my physical output score will be once things get crankin next year, and I'd rather than be a definite strong suit rather than the mediocrity it was at OTS. Being sub 10 is good, being under 9:30 would be better. Going sub 9 would be quite a distance off, there were only a couple guys at OTS who could do that, and they were pretty much built to run.

On a less boring note, money continues to flow in from the various direct deposits we get with regards to switching bases... A chunk of change here to reimburse for the temporary lodging at billeting, a much larger chunk of change to reimburse for all the travel and mileage expenses during the three days, and I'm still waiting on an even larger chunk of change for the DITY move and hauling all my stuff. Although a decent portion of it is money I already paid and am being reimbursed for, much of it such as the DITY isn't and it's nice to see Christmas coming early.

Cut my hair again by myself today, found out it's much easier to do with two mirrors (I didn't have a second one handy), although I'm pretty sure it still worked out. Having someone do the back line in a few secs might make things easier, but it looks like I'll be saving the 6 bucks ever couple weeks everyone else has to pay. That's like $150 a year, more money for other stuff I figure. Word on the street is if you fill out a form you can get out of paying state taxes in your state of residence, because you aren't there for more than 30 days a year and you don't have a house there. That'll save me 20 something a month which works out to around $300 a year. Now as long as I keep from meeting any females, the monetary aspect of things should remain stable. Har. Oh how it's a double edged sword.

Various people have been coming across my site searching for JSUNT journal or Nav journal or Navigator journal, and unfortunately thus far this probably hasn't been too helpful. I can tell you a whole lot about casual status at Randolph, but I won't actually start my JSUNT class until after ASBC, so I can't be too helpful there.

And believe it or not folks, I actually remembered to bring the quote today:

"The past is a puzzle. Like a broken mirror, as you piece it together, you cut yourself. Your image keeps shifting, and you change with it."

You just got raised way up on the cool meter if you know the source of the above. E-mail me for confirmation and major brownie points. Being somewhat in limbo, I've had a lot of time to think about the past, and I found that quote particularly interesting.