Tuesday, July 01, 2003

Finally Got Around to It.

Okay so now I’m updating about events that happened like two weeks ago, but I have good reason.

Upcoming tomorrow and over the next few days will be a series of posts about the most recent weekend’s events, which should be quite interesting reading.

The week previous to my coming back to SB though, I did a bunch of things, some of which I probably have forgotten, which is sad. This is why I prefer blogging the day of, and now that I have a laptop in class and get bored because the professor doesn’t talk as fast as I type, that should be much easier to do.

So anyway, other than eating like a pig, which I did a lot of, I did manage to get out and do some fun stuff.

On I think that Wednesday night I was invited to go to the Galaxy game with my Uncle, cousin, and a few other people. What most people ask me when I say that is “what’s a Galaxy game?” For those who aren’t familiar with the world’s most popular sport, the L.A. Galaxy are a Major League Soccer team. Yes I’m aware that people in the U.S. are oblivious to the sport, but I’ve played it most of my life, and enjoy it immensely. I’d never been to a professional game though, and it ended up being an awesome experience. Somehow I went through childhood only attending like three professional sporting events, a couple baseball games and a football game. I live in the city of the world famous Staples Center but have never seen a basketball or hockey game, or even a concert or anything else there. Quite sad.

So anyway, soccer in person is a very cool thing. The one thing I can't emphasize enough is everyone is extremely fast. Like, there's two speeds, really fast, and ridiculously fast. If you're not at least the former then you will just get run over. The game was at the brand new Home Depot Center at Cal State Dominguez Hills, which is where they're going to have the Women's World Cup final upcoming. It is a pretty incredible venue, I was quite impressed. Being able to play inside it must be a pretty awesome experience.

The final score ended up being 1-1, which was sad because a shutout would have meant a free dozen Krispy Kremes for everyone in the audience. Booo. For the next few days I stuffed myself some more, then decided to go somewhere else I'd never been.

For some strange reason, I live in LA but don't do much of the stuff there is to do here. Therefore one of the things I'd missed out on over the years was Universal Studios, amazingly enough. I went that Saturday with my sister and her fiancee and a few of her friends, which was actually much more fun than I thought it would be.

The studio tour was pretty spiff, as you end up seeing a bunch of these movie sets that you've seen on the big screen. Something neato about actually being there. My favorite ride was the Jurassic Park one, some pretty neat effects on it as well as a pretty serious sized drop at the end. I wanted to ride it multiple times but it was sprinkling all day, and people were worried about getting wet. Buncha wimps. Shrek 4D was also pretty fun, that's one of those where the chairs shake and spit at you and do all sorts of strange things. Also props to the Terminator 3D show, a few of the effects there I can't even explain. Ooh, and Waterworld wasn't bad either, some big surprises. If you're going to skip something though, skip the Spiderman show. It's terrible. Really terrible. They advertised that a ton I remember, must have been a lot of disappointed folks.

Okay now that that's all out of the way, big post coming soon.