Wednesday, April 02, 2003

Geez, Life Busy Blows.

Okay so if I don't start catching up with this I apparently never will, so here we go.

Last Friday (am I really this far behind, so sad) I headed up to Snow Summit again for my second snowboarding trip of Spring Break. This time I went with my father, who is a self proclaimed "mastur skier." We got there basically as early as possible, and were greeted with pretty much large slopes of uncut ice. For those who have tried snowboarding on ice, it's really not the prettiest picture. Luckily as time went on the sun gave it a decent slushy type surface, which made it about a hundred times easier to dig into the curves on the steep stuff. Ended up spending a great deal of my time on the "Miracle Mile" as they call it, one of the intermediate runs down from the top, with relatively steep sections thrown in. Confidence came even quicker than the previous trip, and I managed to find a better way to carve toe to heel edge than I had been previously by bending my knees a little more and changing my arm position.

Unfortunately not all was paradise, as I managed to suffer the worst accident yet in my relatively short lived thus far career in the snow. Was zipping along across one of the easier runs, when I came across a flat section all snowboarders know and love, where you are skimming along a sheet of ice in the shadow and then plow into a section of slush in the sun. I'm not even sure what exactly happened, as is generally is the case when you eat it while hauling ass. Something dug in, the momentum kept me flying forward, and eventually my board went flinging over my head as my arms flailed around in the air trying to break my fall. They didn't, and I dropped out of the sky to land square on my shoulder and eventually skid to a halt in a heap. The guy who had been following me chimed in with a "Holy sh**, that HAD to hurt, you alright dude?" and a few other people took notice, with my father eventually joining the party as well, having missed the entire thing while trying to avoid a tree further up or something. Luckily other than some major back soreness for a day or so there wasn't anything major wrong, and I was able to continue through the rest of the day. We ended up leaving before 1, which gets you something like twenty bucks off your next trip, which will be nice. It also doesn't seem to expire, so I'm sure I'll make use of it at some point, even if the weather doesn't improve enough for another trip this season. It did rain today, so who knows.

Driving up PCH on Sunday on one of the hottest days in a few months wasn't very intelligent, but apparently driving the 405 and 101 wouldn't have been much better, judging from the radio dj's description of the "worst traffic jam EVER" on the 405 North at Sunset. Ended up taking about three hours instead of under two like usual, but what can ya do. The ocean sure was beautiful in the meantime.

While I was at home I got to spend time with various high school friends I'll probably only see once more if at all before I leave, so that was nice. I'm not a real fan of goodbyes, but guess I'll have to get used to it pretty soon here.

I'm still in the process of deciding which of my classes to keep, as I found out I have a few more flexible options than I thought I did, so I'll finish updating on what I've been doing since I've been back a while later.