Thursday, September 05, 2002

Bubble Here, Bubble There.

You know how when you take the SAT you have to go through like a whole page of bubbling your first name, last name, birthdate, gender, school address, etc etc etc? How it's really boring and teacher spends like an hour explaining how to do it? Well it's officially, about 10% of you are complete morons. My job for yesterday and today has been to go through a stack of about 600 of these scantron forms, and fix all the mistakes. There's people who choose to do every other column, randomly on either the pink or white alternating columns generally depending on their gender. There are people who write it and don't bubble in at all, or people who bubble without writing. There are even people who bubble in all the letters of their name in the SAME column, making it impossible to tell what their name really is if they didn't write it in. My fun doesn't stop there though, I then get to write in and bubble in a four digit test code on every single sheet, luckily it's always the same. No such luck for the ten digit student ID however. After alphabetizing the entire stack of 600, I then give the first student the number 0000000001, the second 0000000002, and so on until 0000000600. That's right, I have to bubble in all ten bubbles for each of those. So fourteen bubbles per page, and yesterday I finished about 200 students, so roughly 2800 bubbles. Not including the fixing the names fiasco. My hand felt like it was going to fall off, being ambidextrous would have been nice. And I still have the largest stack to go. Then I get to go downstairs and run them all one at a time through the feeder to score them. I hear I'll get to do some of that this morning before I go back to bubbling.

The good news is, I was sent a thingy in the mail that gave me two free nights at the Stratosphere in Las Vegas on Friday and Saturday night. So I said I was "unavailable" for work tomorrow. I suppose the $150 I make over these couple days will be nice in the long run. I'll probably even go back on Monday just because I don't have anything better to do. This weekend though, I'm gonna relax and live the good life. Even with the concept of free, didn't find anyone interested, mainly due to the short notice and people having other plans. So it looks like myself and the father will be trooping out there, which is nice because then I don't have to drive, and can get some quality book reading in.

Lastly, I'd like to give a booyah to Kelly Clarkson for taking home the American Idol crown last night... I haven't been a diehard fan, just started watching in the last couple weeks, but still witnessed some pretty amazing performances. Downloaded both her upcoming single "A Moment Like This" and her version of Mariah Carey's "Without You", the latter of which is my favorite performance from the entire show. Also going to plug a song I've been trying to remember to download forever and finally got around to snagging. Live's "Lightning Crashes" is one of those songs where the melody is so simple, and yet you can't help but sway along with your eyes closed, envelopd by the music. It gets louder later, but my favorite part is those opening riffs.

Now it's off to work, all the live long day.